JFC Brunssum

Search our content

Home  /  Newcomers  /  Life in Holland  /  Domestic Accommodation

Domestic Accommodation

Domestic AccommodationHQ JFCBS members will live on the local economy and use private housing arrangements. The HQ JFCBS International Housing Office (IHO) provides assistance in obtaining suitable housing in the local area. The IHO has a variety of houses for rent, presented electronically, showing the in- and outside of the houses.

Professional contacts with real estate agents and private landlords are kept, negotiating rental and living conditions for the benefit of the tenants. IHO provides a wide range of housing related assistance and is therefore a good starting point in your search for housing accommodation in the local area.
International Housing Office phone +31 (0)45 526 2135
Single (unaccompanied) Accommodation
Those single and unaccompanied personnel normally live in leased private housing. Depending on the policy of the National Support Unit, the lease for this housing will either be between the landlord and the National Support Unit or between the landlord and the individual, with help from IHO.

Married (accompanied) Accommodation
All accompanied personnel assigned to HQ JFCBS will reside in leased private accommodations and are entitled to use the service of the HQ JFCBS International Housing Office. Personnel renting privately are advised to use HQ JFCBS official rental agreement, which is available from the International Housing Office in Dutch and English. The HQ JFCBS lease contract contains a military/diplomatic clause.

Types of Accommodation
Housing for HQ JFCBS members is categorized into:
  • Private houses or apartments (both furnished and unfurnished);
  • Rooms in private houses (furnished).
(*) "Social Apartments" are built with financial aid from the Netherlands Government. The general rule is that only personnel with an annual salary (income) below a certain level can obtain a social apartment registration.

Accommodation in the Netherlands is controlled by local authorities requiring, by law, that each individual be formally registered in the area concerned. Therefore, personnel are to inform the HQ JFCBS International Housing Office immediately after finding accommodation. This office will prepare the necessary registration certificates and present them to the local authorities and utility companies. Change of accommodation (other than that arranged by a National Support Unit) must also immediately be reported to the International Housing Office.

Rental Rules in the Netherlands

  • Accommodation may only be used in accordance with its designed purpose;
  • It must be left in the same condition as when it was taken over;
  • At the start of the rental period a deposit of one month's rent is usually required. At the termination of the rental period the money is refunded, after subtraction of the cost of any necessary repairs;
  • Unless the contract states differently, the normal term of notice in the Netherlands is one rental month. Before ending the rental contract, contact IHO for assistance.

Pertinent Facts about Utilities
  • Electricity supply in the Netherlands is 50-cycle, single phase, 220 Volt A.C. as opposed to the 60-cycle, 110 Volt used in the United States. Fittings are of the European type and differ from US standards.
  • The gas used in the Netherlands is natural gas. Most of the cities and villages in South Limburg obtain natural gas from the regional gas company Essent with its main office in Roermond. For main connections, the municipal gas service company or Essent should be contacted. In most places it is possible to hire gas appliances for heating, kitchen and bathroom water at low rates. This will also include maintenance.
  • Waterleiding Maatschappij Limburg does water supply. The water in Limburg is, in most locations, categorized as "hard" water. For connections, the International Housing Office will assist you.
  • Private telephone and internet connection can only be installed into a private residence after an agreement has been made between an individual and the provider. The International Housing Office will provide you with all necessary information.

The utility company will charge you every month for the use of gas and electricity. Waterleiding Maatschappij Limburg (WML) will charge you for the use of water.

NOTE: Contact International Housing Office for connections or reconnections of utilities to assure that the right Value Added Tax exemption is included in your contract. US personnel should contact the US Housing Office of USAG in Schinnen. Supplies are normally cut off on change of occupancy until the new occupant asks for reconnections.

Radio and Television
In addition to local radio programmes, American Forces Network (AFN) on FM 89.2 MHz and British Forces Broadcasting Services (BFBS) on FM 90.2 MHz can be received locally. Canadian Forces Network Brunssum (CFNB) also broadcasts from its own studios within the Headquarters and can be received on FM 96.9 MHz. Dutch television transmits many English and other foreign language programmes.

Dutch TV Channels retain the original soundtrack and use Dutch subtitles. Most local communities have a television cable system. The channels carried by the cable are a matter for the local authorities and vary from place to place. In addition to Dutch, German and Belgian TV channels, there are usually several commercial (satellite or digital broadcasting) TV Stations on each local system. Some channels are scrambled and cannot be viewed without a special decoder. Dutch TV magazines give programme details of all channels receivable in the area.

At Hendrik Camp satellite receivers have been set up at several locations e.g. at Club 13 and numerous conference rooms in Building H-106.

It is important to note that Continental, UK and US televisions operate on different systems and receivers may need to be adapted. American and European video film formats are also different as the regional restictions for DVD players.
International Housing Office: phone +31 (0)45 526 2135

Search our content:


Allied Joint Force Command Brunssum
Rimburgerweg 30
6445 PA Brunssum
The Netherlands

Media Operations

Public Affairs Office
Attn: Media Section
6445 PA Brunssum
The Netherlands